Picnic Area/Orientation Shelter
~ Features a
campground store, open from 9 am - 7 pm in the summer, restroom
facilities, a picnic area, horse rentals, and the Cades Cove Campground.
Self-guided tour books of the Cove are provided for $1 by the Park.
Named for the livestock herders, Dave, Sam and Tom Sparks. A two-way road
running north to south that was part of the original Cove roads since the
John Oliver Cabin
~ The Oliver's settled in Cades Cove and built this home in the early
1820's. The home and land remained in their family for more than 100 years
and the John Oliver cabin is the oldest log home in Cades Cove.
Primitive Baptist Church
~ The earliest settlers established the church in 1827, however the log
building was replaced in 1887. During the Civil War, the church closed due
to public unrest.
~ Built by J. D. McCampbell, a carpenter and blacksmith, in 115 days for
$115.00. The church was established in the 1820's and was replaced in 1902
with the current building. The Civil War and Reconstruction divided the
members and dissidents formed the Hopewell Methodist Church on the
opposite side of the Cove, which no longer stands.
Originally a Cherokee trail, this two-way road serves as a short cut of
Missionary Baptist Church
~ Established in 1839 when members of the Primitive Baptist Church
were expelled because they favored missionary work. Once a Sunday
School in 1898, the church closed in 1944. From March to April daffodils,
planted by the Civilian Conservations Corp in the 1930's, bloom to the
right of the church. A notice reading "Co. 5427" remains
Rich Mountain Trail
~ The State of Tennessee built this road in the 1920's as an entrance for
early settlers, however the 12 mile road was first a Cherokee Indian trail. This road is closed in the winter and operates as an exit only
route out of the Cove the rest of the year.
Cooper Road Trail
~ Originally an Indian trail, the 10 mile road was created by Daniel David
Foute in the 1830's as a route to Maryville. In the 1840's Joe Cooper
improved on it for wagon use.
Elijah Oliver Place
~ Home of Elijah Oliver, son of John Oliver, who was born in the Cove in
1824. The property features a smokehouse, used to store meats, a corn crib
to store corn, a springhouse to keep milk and butter cold, and a barn to
shelter their cattle, horses and hay.
Abrams Falls Trail
~ A 5 mile
round trip hike that features a spectacular 20 foot waterfall with a large
100 foot pool at the base, a favorite for swimming during the summer
Cable Mill Area and Visitor Center
~ Most of the buildings were located elsewhere in the Cove with
the exception of the blacksmith shop and the gristmill. The
Visitor Center, built in 1972 serves the public with books, post cards,
maps, film, publications, and posters. Snow in the winter months will close the center.
The property also features a blacksmith shop, cantilever barn, smokehouse,
corn crib, barn and sorghum mill which were integral tools for preserving
their harvests. The John P. Cable Gristmill still operates today and
visitors can sample or purchase flour and corn mill. The Gregg-Cable
house, the first all frame home in the Cove, served as a store on the
lower level and a a home on the other.
Henry Whitehead Place
~ Built in 1898, this is the only one of three "transition"
houses (combination of a regular log home and a frame house) remaining in
the Park. The dwellings are models of the finest and roughest log
construction in the Smoky Mountains.
Cades Cove Nature Trail
~ A 1/2 mile loop featuring pines, oaks, red maples, sourwoods and dogwood
trees. A view into the early settlers hunt for necessities.
Dan Lawson Place
~ The main house was built in 1856 by Dan Lawson. Unique for it's brick
chimney built with handmade blocks. A small granary, smokehouse and pantry
buildings are also on site.
Built in the early 1870's, this dwelling was owned by Col. Hamp Tipton,
who served in the Mexican war. Rented by the McCaulley family in the late
1870's, James McCaulley added a blacksmith shop, smokehouse, woodshed and
an apiary, used to house bee gums. Across the road is a cantilever barn
and corn crib.
Carter Shields Cabin
~ Home to Washington "Carter" Shields, a soldier in the Battle
of Shiloh, who returned to the Cove in 1906 after the battle, and
purchased the property in 1910, only to leave the Cove again 11 years